These do not taste like hamburgers, but they are so good! I made them for my family many years ago when I first became a vegetarian. At that time there were no prepared veggie burgers on the market. --Julie Ferron
- 3/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 hamburger buns, optional
- Lettuce and tomato slices, optional
- Place sunflower kernels in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Remove and set aside. Place beans in food processor; cover and process until ground. In a large bowl, combine the sunflower kernels, beans, carrots, onion, flour and oil. Shape 1/2 cupfuls into patties.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the patties over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Burgers in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p77
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Vegetarian Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review