Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
"This chunky soup is chock-full of hearty ingredients like potatoes and black beans," notes Heather Baldry of Knoxville, Tennessee. "The tasty vegetable broth is a nice change from chicken or beef."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion
- is tender. Stir in the beans, potato, thyme, cumin and remaining
- broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25
- minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle with
- green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 173 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.