Vegetarian Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, potato, thyme, cumin and remaining broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 173 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
"My sister made this for me because I didn't know if I liked black beans or not. I do. They aren't my favorite food, but I like them enough to make this soup for myself."
"I have made this soup several times and love it. However, I added more hot sauce, a small can of black olives, and a small can of sliced mushrooms. I think it would be good with some fresh portabello mushrooms instead."
"I have made other black bean soup recipes, but I keep coming back to this one. It is my all-time favorite. I sometimes put shredded chicken and a drained small can (or fresh) mushrooms in it. The flavor is wonderful!"
"I would add more hot sauce and more green onion. Good soup!"
"Tastey but not memorable."
"This was a totally awesome,quick and yummy hot soup !!Nettie"
"You can substitute sweet potato for the regular potato with equally tasty results."