- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, potato, thyme, cumin and remaining broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
Sort By :
My sister made this for me because I didn't know if I liked black beans or not. I do. They aren't my favorite food, but I like them enough to make this soup for myself.
I have made this soup several times and love it. However, I added more hot sauce, a small can of black olives, and a small can of sliced mushrooms. I think it would be good with some fresh portabello mushrooms instead.
I have made other black bean soup recipes, but I keep coming back to this one. It is my all-time favorite. I sometimes put shredded chicken and a drained small can (or fresh) mushrooms in it. The flavor is wonderful!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >