Vegetarian Bean and Vegetable Chili Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onion, peppers, carrots and garlic in oil for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/4 cup: 204 calories, 4g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 10g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Vegetarian Bean and Vegetable Chili
"My whole family loves it. My 2 and 3 year old boys always finish their dinner. I serve it over rice. It also freezes well."