- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onion, peppers, carrots and garlic in oil for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetarian Chili in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p12
Reviews for Vegetarian Bean and Vegetable Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2009
"My whole family loves it. My 2 and 3 year old boys always finish their dinner. I serve it over rice. It also freezes well."