Vegetables with Brown Rice Recipe
"When garden crops are plentiful, this is a delightful dish to serve. You can vary the vegetables to whatever you have available," suggests Patty Kile of Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania. "It's convenient for company because the veggies can be precut and refrigerated in plastic bags until cooking time."
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute walnuts in 1 teaspoon oil for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute red pepper and broccoli in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and yellow squash; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the peas, water, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Combine the rice and parsley on a serving platter or in a serving bowl. Top with vegetable mixture and toasted walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 115 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Vegetables with Brown Rice
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC