Vegetables with Brown Rice Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute walnuts in 1 teaspoon oil for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute red pepper and broccoli in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and yellow squash; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the peas, water, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Combine the rice and parsley on a serving platter or in a serving bowl. Top with vegetable mixture and toasted walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.