Vegetables Mornay Recipe
These saucy vegetables are a colorful and satisfying side dish we enjoy often. Our daughter, an 11-year-old 4-H member, earned the Reserve Grand Champion ribbon at our local county fair with this recipe.
- 6 to 8 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 2-1/4 cups frozen cauliflowerets
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) whole mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned croutons
- 1. Place the carrots and water in a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower. Cover and microwave for 6-9 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain. Add mushrooms; cover and set aside.
- 2. In another microwave-safe dish, combine the cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir in milk and 6 tablespoons butter until smooth. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until thickened and smooth, stirring after every minute. Add Swiss cheese and Parmesan, stirring until melted.
- 3. Pour over the vegetables. Cover and microwave for 2-4 minutes or until heated through. Combine croutons and remaining butter; stir into vegetables. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1/2 cup equals 200 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 538 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC