A convenient packaged rice mix gives a jump start to this simple side dish from Helen Jacobs of Canton, Michigan. A bright blend of veggies adds color, and the cost - only 52 cents per serving - is easy on your budget.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup diced yellow summer squash
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large saucepan, place rice mix, contents of seasoning packet and water as directed on package. Bring to a boil. Add carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute squash, peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Stir into rice mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Wild Rice in Quick Cooking December 2000, p51
Reviews for Vegetable Wild Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review