Vegetable Swiss Casserole Recipe
With four different vegetables, this creamy and comforting casserole has something for everyone. It's easy to double the recipe when cooking for a crowd.—Christie Nelson, Taylorville, Illinois
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 15 crackers)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam 3 minutes.
- 2. Add broccoli and cauliflower; steam 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream, bouillon, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese.
- 4. Pour over vegetables and stir to coat. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC