Vegetable Swiss Casserole
With four different vegetables, this creamy and comforting casserole has something for everyone. It's easy to double the recipe when cooking for a crowd.—Christie Nelson, Taylorville, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 15 crackers)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in
- a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and
- steam 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower; steam 5 minutes longer or until
- vegetables are tender. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in
- flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream, bouillon, onion powder
- and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in cheese.
- Pour over vegetables and stir to coat. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs.