Vegetable Stuffed Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 3 leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery, divided
- 1/2 pound baby spinach, torn
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. Cut steak horizontally from a long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic; sprinkle steak with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute leeks, yellow peppers and 1 cup celery until tender. Stir in spinach, thyme, basil and bacon. Spoon over meat to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie with kitchen string.
- 3. Rub steak with garlic and remaining salt. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place in a greased shallow roasting pan. Add onion and remaining celery. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over steak. Cover loosely with foil.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Baste with drippings. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove string and slice. Discard bay leaf; thicken juices if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Vegetable Stuffed Flank Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.