We always serve food at our Bunco games, and since one of us is a vegetarian we're always coming up with fun meatless dishes we can all enjoy. This strata can easily be doubled and tastes fantastic hot or at room temperature.—Doris Mancini, Port Orchard, Washington
Featured In: 13x9 Potluck Recipes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons each minced fresh sage, basil and parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Repeat with an additional 1 teaspoon oil and zucchini; add to asparagus. In same pan, cook and stir corn, shallots and garlic in remaining oil until shallots are tender; stir in herbs, salt and pepper. Add to asparagus mixture; stir in bread cubes.
- Place half of mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Repeat layers. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake strata, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Vegetable Strata in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Vegetable Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review