- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons each minced fresh sage, basil and parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Repeat with an additional 1 teaspoon oil and zucchini; add to asparagus. In same pan, cook and stir corn, shallots and garlic in remaining oil until shallots are tender; stir in herbs, salt and pepper. Add to asparagus mixture; stir in bread cubes.
- Place half of mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Repeat layers. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake strata, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Vegetable Strata in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Vegetable Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review