Vegetable Steak Soup Recipe
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1. Sprinkle steak with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown steak in batches in oil over medium heat. Add the broth, potatoes, water, carrots, onion soup mix, basil, tarragon and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and wine until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 192 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Vegetable Steak Soup
"Great flavor! Everyone liked this dish. Will probably add different vegetables next time in place of some of the potatoes and carrots for added flavor and fewer carbs."
"This was surprisingly delicious! My husband doesn't really like vegetable beef soup but thought this was awesome! It is definitely a keeper. I omitted the tarragon and basil and used only beef broth, no wine."
"I made just a few small changes. I sprinkled the meat with a bit of salt and garlic powder, as well as some pepper before browning it. I made my broth with "Better than Bouillon" soup base instead of the suggested beef broth, added more carrots, used half the amount of basil and 1/4 c. white wine & 1/4 c. water with the cornstarch. I was pleased with the outcome. We had it with Broccoli Cornbread."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.