Vegetable Steak Kabobs Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, basil and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 small green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, ketchup, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Pour remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag. Add mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and peppers; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate beef and vegetables 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain beef, discarding marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef and vegetables.
- 3. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-15 minutes or until beef reaches desired doneness and vegetables are crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Baste with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 each) equals 234 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.