Vegetable Soup with Hamburger
"I work full time and have a family of four," relates Theresa Jackson of Cicero, New York. "We sit down to a home-cooked meal just about every night, many times thanks to my slow cooker. This hearty soup is often on the menu."
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. In a
- 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in beef
- mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground beef) equals 159 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.