Vegetable Soup Meat Loaf
I found this recipe in a booklet that came with my new Hotpoint stove that my parents purchased in 1950. Mom tried the recipe and it has been a family favorite since. I usually serve meat loaf with baked potatoes and we also enjoy cold slices for sandwiches.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 slices white bread, torn
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed vegetarian vegetable soup, undiluted
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, soak bread in soup for 5 minutes. Stir in the onion,
- egg, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape
- into an 8-in. x 4-in. oval.
- Line an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish with foil and grease the foil.
- Place meat loaf in pan; top with tomato sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a meat
- thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Let stand for
- 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.