Vegetable Rice Medley
WE'VE BEEN eating this wonderful side dish for as long as I can remember. It's an old-time recipe from this part of the country, and I like it because of its great flavor and festive color. It complements most any meal, so we enjoy it often.
-Auton Miller, Piney Flats, Tennessee
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow or sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, saute rice and onion in oil
- until rice is lightly browned. Add the tomato, pepper, water and
- salt; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in peas and
- heat through. Yield: 2 servings.
3/4 cup equals 141 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 341 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.