Vegetable Rice Medley
WHEN MY MENU features poultry, I reach for this side dish recipe with its subtle sage flavor. The zesty onion and crunchy celery make a superb combination, and it's easy to make.
-Estelle Stimel, Conway, Arkansas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Pinch pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion, celery, mushrooms and green pepper
- in butter until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in rice, salt, sage
- and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes longer or
- until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 172 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.