Vegetable Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Spread the rice into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with zucchini, yellow squash, onion and half of the basil; top with green pepper, celery and tomatoes. Combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper; sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with oil. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 122 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Rice Casserole
"Enjoyed this easy dish. Adapted it for the stovetop as I did not want to use the oven and heat up the house. I used a can of diced tomatoes but everything else was as written. Served it with chicken but it would be good with anything."