Vegetable Rice Casserole Recipe
"This is my family's favorite side dish any tome of year. It's especially good when fresh produce is in season," says Marcia Nelson from Ponca City, Oklahoma. Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to the rice and layered vegetables in this colorful casserole.
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Spread the rice into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with zucchini, yellow squash, onion and half of the basil; top with green pepper, celery and tomatoes. Combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper; sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with oil. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 122 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Rice Casserole
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC