"This is my family's favorite side dish any tome of year. It's especially good when fresh produce is in season," says Marcia Nelson from Ponca City, Oklahoma. Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to the rice and layered vegetables in this colorful casserole.
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spread the rice into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with zucchini, yellow squash, onion and half of the basil; top with green pepper, celery and tomatoes. Combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper; sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with oil. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Rice Casserole in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p22
Reviews for Vegetable Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2014
"Enjoyed this easy dish. Adapted it for the stovetop as I did not want to use the oven and heat up the house. I used a can of diced tomatoes but everything else was as written. Served it with chicken but it would be good with anything."