"This is my family's favorite side dish any tome of year. It's especially good when fresh produce is in season," says Marcia Nelson from Ponca City, Oklahoma. Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to the rice and layered vegetables in this colorful casserole.
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spread the rice into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with zucchini, yellow squash, onion and half of the basil; top with green pepper, celery and tomatoes. Combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper; sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with oil. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Rice Casserole in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p22
Reviews for Vegetable Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review