Vegetable Quinoa Recipe
“My family really enjoys this hearty dish,” writes Kate Selner from her home in Lino Lakes, Minnesota. “It makes a delicious side with grilled chicken or a filling main course when served with a salad or extra vegetable.”
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, toast quinoa over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, carrot, broccoli and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Add basil and pepper; cook and stir just until vegetables are tender. Stir in quinoa; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup equals 221 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Quinoa
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC