- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, toast quinoa over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, carrot, broccoli and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Add basil and pepper; cook and stir just until vegetables are tender. Stir in quinoa; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Vegetable Quinoa
"This was the first time I've ever cooked quinoa, so I followed the recipe exactly. It was delicious! This recipe is definitely a keeper.Note: for me, the quinoa took a lot longer to get absorbed than the recipe stated."
"I am always looking for new recipes with quinoa and/or vegetables. I was hesitant because there wasn't a picture but mine too out great! I think I used too much oil for sauting the onions because I can taste it. My husband who is Mexican and likes his salt, added more salt on his and he had no other complaints. I would make this again as this is jam packed with veggies. He can be a picky eater when I try new recipes but if HE likes it, it is a winner! I did not change a thing about the recipe and ate this with a salad."
"This is an easy, tasty, attractive dish! I have read that a key to good-tasting quinoa is to rinse it two or three times before preparing. I rinsed until the grain smelled clean, then drained thoroughly and went on with recipe. This will be a frequent side dish at our house. I think I'll switch out various veggies depending on the main dish I'm pairing it with."
"I've made this recipe a couple times now. It's a great side dish with lots of flavour."
"Colorful and very tasty, a great sidedish!"