Vegetable Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in oil until vegetables are tender. Add olives and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Dissolve bouillon in hot water; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt if desired and pepper.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 12-14 servings.
3/4 cup: 77 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 631mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Vegetable Pasta Sauce
"We eliminated the olives & substituted 1 can southwestern diced tomatoes (instead of 1 big can plain diced tomatoes) to give it some zip. Yummy!"
"I eliminated the celery, because we don't like it in sauce. Use Kosher salt. You need less this way,"
"There are just 2 of us, I imagine this would freeze or keep in the fridge. We live in our RV so no room for large crowds, but may use for potlucks."