A cousin of mine in Minnesota was the first one in our family to make this meatless spaghetti sauce. She passed down the recipe to various relatives over the years, and it’s become a mainstay in my family. With its veggies and great garlic and herb flavor, you don’t miss the meat in this thick sauce.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in oil until vegetables are tender. Add olives and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt if desired and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Pasta Sauce in Country Extra September 2006, p51
Reviews for Vegetable Pasta Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review