Vegetable Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in oil until vegetables are tender. Add olives and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt if desired and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Vegetable Pasta Sauce
Sort By :
We eliminated the olives & substituted 1 can southwestern diced tomatoes (instead of 1 big can plain diced tomatoes) to give it some zip. Yummy!
I eliminated the celery, because we don't like it in sauce. Use Kosher salt. You need less this way,
There are just 2 of us, I imagine this would freeze or keep in the fridge. We live in our RV so no room for large crowds, but may use for potlucks.
Very good! I left out the black olives( hubby doesn't like them) and added some sugar as we like our pasta sauce on the sweeter side.Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Great no -meat meal!