Vegetable Orzo Soup
This hearty soup is a perfect way to straddle winter and spring. Beans, red potatoes and orzo fortify against the cold, while fresh and frozen vegetables hint at the warmer, sunnier days to come. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) garden-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen Italian vegetables
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Saute pepper and onion in oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until potatoes and pasta are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).