Vegetable Orzo Soup Recipe
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) garden-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen Italian vegetables
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Saute pepper and onion in oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and pasta are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Vegetable Orzo Soup
"Excellent soup and so easy to make, I followed previous review and cooked potatoes in broth before starting recipe"
"I made this recipe after reading the reviews of the other two subscribers. My family and I really enjoyed this soup! The only substitution I made was navy beans instead of kidney or cannellini beans. The potatoes in the soup didn't fully cook all the way before the pasta was cooked and the soup started to thicken, so next time, I will cook the potatoes in the chicken broth to get them started. Over all excellent, hearty recipe. Will definitely make again!"
"This is a tasty, hearty soup for a cold winter day! Easy to put together too."
"This was so easy and quick to make, but tasted like it had been cooking all day. It was wonderful. You could add sausage to it to make it more hardy, but it was quite filling as is."