Vegetable Noodle Bake Recipe
Traditional lasagna fixin's (minus the meat) make up Vegetable Noodle Bake, a satisfying casserole shared by field editor Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois. The egg noodles are a great substitute for the usual lasagna noodles. "If you're out of hamburger, serve the dish and no one will even notice it's meatless because it's so tasty," Dixie assures.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup canned tomato puree
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup shredded American cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, onion, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- 3. Spread 1/3 cup tomato mixture in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the noodles. Spread with cottage cheese; top with spinach. Drizzle with 1/2 cup tomato mixture; top with remaining noodles and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with American cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC