Vegetable Medley with Couscous Recipe
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 3 yellow summer squash, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, butter, parsley and pepper to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the red peppers in oil for 4 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, yellow squash, basil and salt; cook 6-10 minutes longer or until tender.
- 3. Fluff couscous with a fork; serve with vegetables and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup vegetables with 2/3 cup couscous equals 249 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.