"MY GRANDPARENTS tended a big garden and grew and canned all their own vegetables. Grandma always had the ingredients on hand for this salad, and I think she was happy to have a recipe that she could make well ahead when planning that big Easter dinner."
Recommended: 25 Potluck Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets and blanched
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 4 sweet pickles, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced and blanched
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice, optional
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, onion, beans, pickles and carrots. In a medium saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over vegetables; stir gently.
- Cover and chill overnight. Stir again; drain before serving. Yield: 12-18 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Medley Salad in Reminisce March/April 1994, p51
Reviews for Vegetable Medley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review