Vegetable Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, cheese, tomato sauce, yogurt, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder. Crumble turkey and beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Shape into a loaf. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- 4. Combine the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder; spread over meat loaf. Bake for 15 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 266 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Meatloaf
"Even Grandma likes this one! Used yellow bell pepper instead of green, and light swiss cheese instead of cheddar and no cheese on topping. Nice spicy flavor and lots of veggies. Plus, no eggs! Yeah! Try it!"
"my family and I thought this was delicious--low fat, low calorie, and so tasty. I used "American" chili powder and the heat was fairly mild; as a matter of fact, this wasn't really spicy at all. I also used all ground beef because that's what I had--93% lean--and I used Italian bread crumbs. It was enjoyed by all and a nice change from standard meatloaf!"