Vegetable Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, cheese, tomato sauce, yogurt, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder. Crumble turkey and beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Shape into a loaf. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- 4. Combine the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder; spread over meat loaf. Bake for 15 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 266 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.