Vegetable Meatball Stew Recipe
Meet the Cook: People who try this comment on how much they love the sweet potatoes. But they can never quite seem to pinpoint my "secret ingredient" - the parsnips! -Elaine Grose, Elmira, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium peeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water to boil. Add potatoes, carrots, onion and seasonings; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, egg and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Shape into 1-in. balls; add to Dutch oven along with sweet potatoes and parsnips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 4. Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas. Combine flour, cold water and browning sauce if desired until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC