- 4 cups water
- 2 medium peeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water to boil. Add potatoes, carrots, onion and seasonings; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, egg and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; add to Dutch oven along with sweet potatoes and parsnips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas. Combine flour, cold water and browning sauce if desired until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Vegetable Meatball Stew
Sort By :
"This stew is wonderful on a cool Fall or Winter day. I have a large family, so we double the recipe. We love this paired with homeade breadsticks. Thanks for the recipe, it's delicious!!"
"I tried this for my family last Saturday night and they loved it!!! I added some ground deer meat too, and it was fabulous!! I also used long green beans instead of the peas and that was also great!! Thanks for an awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!"