Vegetable Meat Loaf
I hate the thought of making too much and having leftovers for a week, so I've pared down my recipes. This one is simple and quick to prepare, plus the carrot, green pepper and celery make it nutritious and colorful. It's great served with cheddar-topped baked potatoes.Judi Brinegar, Liberty, North Carolina
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 slice bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash each pepper and garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup, divided
- 2 baked potatoes, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, bread, egg, carrot, onion, green
- pepper, celery, seasonings and 2 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup.
- Form into a loaf in an ungreased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan.
- Spoon remaining chili sauce or ketchup over loaf. Bake, uncovered,
- at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve
- with baked potatoes topped with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot