Vegetable Meat Loaf Recipe
I hate the thought of making too much and having leftovers for a week, so I've pared down my recipes. This one is simple and quick to prepare, plus the carrot, green pepper and celery make it nutritious and colorful. It's great served with cheddar-topped baked potatoes.—Judi Brinegar, Liberty, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 slice bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash each pepper and garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup, divided
- 2 baked potatoes, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine ground beef, bread, egg, carrot, onion, green pepper, celery, seasonings and 2 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup.
- 2. Form into a loaf in an ungreased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan. Spoon remaining chili sauce or ketchup over loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with baked potatoes topped with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC