I hate the thought of making too much and having leftovers for a week, so I've pared down my recipes. This one is simple and quick to prepare, plus the carrot, green pepper and celery make it nutritious and colorful. It's great served with cheddar-topped baked potatoes.—Judi Brinegar, Liberty, North Carolina
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 slice bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash each pepper and garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup, divided
- 2 baked potatoes, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, bread, egg, carrot, onion, green pepper, celery, seasonings and 2 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup.
- Form into a loaf in an ungreased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan. Spoon remaining chili sauce or ketchup over loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with baked potatoes topped with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Meat Loaf in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p22
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Vegetable Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review