- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the carrots, celery, garlic, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Add the water, tomato puree, beans, green pepper and wine, if desired; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and sugar; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Lover's Minestrone in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p140
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Vegetable Lover's Minestrone(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review