Vegetable Lentil Stew Recipe
- 4 cups reduced-sodium V8 or tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in spinach; heat through. Combine topping ingredients; dollop about 1 tablespoon on each serving. Yield: 13 servings.
One 1-cup serving equals 216 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 meat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.