Vegetable Lentil Stew Recipe
- 4 cups reduced-sodium V8 or tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in spinach; heat through. Combine topping ingredients; dollop about 1 tablespoon on each serving. Yield: 13 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Vegetable Lentil Stew
Sort By :
I don't particularly like vegetarian meals like this, but this was really good with excellent flavor.
I have been making this vegetable lentil stew for over 10 years and I love this comfort food. It is so satisfying and filling that your family will not miss meat in this recipe. I add more chili powder and cumin as we like it a bit more spicy, and I serve it with homemade oat dinner rolls. I believe this recipe is also on this website.
Simple. Healthy. Delicious. When I brought it to work for lunch, a co-worker smelled it coming out of the microwave and asked for the recipe. I'll add a little more spice next time.