- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper,
- carrot and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes,
- mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until
- squashes are crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, broth, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package
- directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix egg and ricotta
- cheese. Spread 1 cup vegetable mixture into a greased 8-in.-square
- baking dish. Layer with two noodles (trim to fit pan), half of the
- ricotta mixture, about 1-1/2 cups vegetable mixture and two
- additional noodles. Top with remaining ricotta mixture, noodles and
- vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and Italian seasoning. Bake, uncovered, 30-35
- minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes
- before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 432 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.