I cooked up this fresh lasagna for vegetarian customers at a local grocery store, where I work part-time. It's absolutely packed with veggies. —Sam Hunsaker, Lawrence, Kansas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, carrot and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until squashes are crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, broth, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix egg and ricotta cheese. Spread 1 cup vegetable mixture into a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Layer with two noodles (trim to fit pan), half of the ricotta mixture, about 1-1/2 cups vegetable mixture and two additional noodles. Top with remaining ricotta mixture, noodles and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and Italian seasoning. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Lasagna in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p18
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Vegetable Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review