Vegetable Hamburger Soup
This filling soup is a favorite in our family and is fast to prepare. It is the one food I take most often to friends who are in need of a helping hand.Eleanor Bell, Utica, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables
- are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8
- servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.