- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Vegetable Hamburger Soup
Sort By :
"This recipe is delicious. If you are a soup lover, this will hit the spot. It is easy to make. I am a soup lover and could it eat soup every day of the year. This is a winner."
"The cook at the Oasis Restaurant used to make this at least once a week and it was one of the most popular soups on the menu."
"my dad got me some cookbooks several years ago from taste of home i made this recipe shorly after i got them. We all loved it and when i can't figure out what to cook for dinner, it dawns on me....i love it, i do add 3 beef bullion cubes for a little more flavor :) (my dad has since passed away and i think of him every time i eat this soup, as if i need an excuse....i think of him all day long)"
"After browning the ground beef, I dumped everything else in the slow cooker for the day. It was perfect! I also modified the recipe by adding corn, not peeling the potatoes, and by adding another bay leaf. This is the kind of recipe that doesn't have to be measured!"
"I forgot to mention I used pre cooked Bailey instead if rice.Either one is creat."