"I created this savory stew one evening while trying to use up leftover ham," recalls Shannon Smith of Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin. "My husband loved it and told me to write down the recipe. I passed it on to the other women in the family...now it's everyone's favorite."
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Ham Stew in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p17
Reviews for Vegetable Ham Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review