Vegetable Garden Recipe
I was planning on bring veggies and dip to my grandson's graduation party, but I wanted to do something special. So I created a mini garden by arranging by corn, cherry tomatoes and other small vegetables on fa foam board. I was a big hit!—Barbara Wellner, Menominee, Michigan
- 2 bunches green onions
- 12 large radishes
- Wooden fencing (60 inches long x 2-1/2 inches high)
- 1 green foam board (17-78 inches x 11-7/8 inches x 15/16 inch)
- 16 T-shaped pins, U-shaped wire fasteners or heavy-duty staples
- 1 bunch curly endive
- 1 can (15 ounces) baby corn, rinsed and drained
- 12 mini zucchini or 12 zucchini slices
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 whole fresh mushrooms
- 12 baby carrots
- Miniature scarecrow
- Prepared vegetable dip
- 1. For cornstalks, trim both ends of each green onion. Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut green portion of onions lengthwise into thin strips. Fill a large bowl with ice water; add onions and refrigerate until curled.
- 2. For flowers, trim both ends of each radish. With a sharp knife, cut radishes to make flowers (see instructions for making radish flowers below).
- 3. Place flowers in a bowl of ice water; refrigerate until opened.
- 4. For base, attach fencing around foam board with pins, fasteners or staples. Line the endive. Drain onions and radishes. With toothpicks, attach the onions in rows along one short side of base. Trim one end of each baby corn into a wedge; insert into onion tops. (Refrigerate any extra corn for another use.)
- 5. Add rows of radish flowers, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots. Place scarecrow in garden. Serve veggies with dip. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 407 calories, 40 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC