“As a busy working mother, I love this recipe. I can use common pantry items to put a hearty, healthful dinner on the table for my family to enjoy. It takes only melon or fruit salad to round out this meal!” Graciela Sandvigen - Rochester, NY
Recommended: 27 Recipes for One-Pot Meals
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sugar snap stir-fry vegetable blend, thawed
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, vegetable blend, beans and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook orzo according to package directions; drain.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the baking mix, cornmeal, oregano and basil. Stir in milk just until moistened; set aside.
- Stir orzo into soup. Drop dumpling batter by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Dumpling Soup in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010, p49
Reviews for Vegetable Dumpling Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 6, 2011
"I loved this recipe, we do not eat meat, so switched the chicken broth to vegetable broth, did not use corn meal. Used the recipe for dumplings on the Bisquick box. Entire family liked it, added corn top the veges for the kids."