Vegetable Curried Rice Recipe
“I’ve served this rice recipe to family and guests often and always receive high praise,” writes Frances Easton from Warrenton, Virginia. With its mild curry flavor, this colorful side could complement a variety of main dishes. FRANCES’ TIP: “This is an easy recipe to double for family get-togethers or potlucks.”
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, cook rice and onion in oil until rice is lightly browned and onion is tender. Stir in the broth, curry powder, salt and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- 2. Stir in corn and peas. Cover and simmer 3-6 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup equals 184 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Curried Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC