Vegetable Couscous Recipe
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup julienned sweet yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the carrots, celery, onion and peppers in oil for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the next five ingredients.
- 2. Stir in couscous. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-8 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 513 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.