Vegetable Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 quarts water
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons picante sauce
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3-1/2 cups egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large soup kettle, combine the water, carrots, onion and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, bouillon, picante sauce and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until broccoli and cauliflower are tender.
- 3. Add chicken and noodles. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 133 calories, 2 gm fat (trace saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 935 mg sodium, 18 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fiber, 11 gm protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.