We briefly relocated to New Hampshire after 50 years in Ohio. One way we kept "close" to loved ones in the Midwest was by fixing family favorite like this.—Debbie Chilton, Madbury, New Hampshire
Recommended: Your February Meal Plan
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- In a large skillet, saute vegetables in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add chicken; cook until no longer pink. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, peas and parsley. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in soup until smooth. Add hot pepper sauce. Stir into vegetable mixture. Transfer to pastry shell.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, applesauce and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by spoonfuls over filling. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown (if necessary, cover edges loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Chicken Potpie in Reminisce November/December 2005, p 49
Reviews for Vegetable Chicken Potpie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 5, 2011
"After rating this I realized I did not note that 1/2 the topping recipe is plenty, it is thick!"
Reviewed Aug. 5, 2011