Vegetable Chicken Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute the leeks, celery and carrot in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, water, seasonings and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Stir in barley and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 218 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Chicken Barley Soup
"I made this with noodles instead of barley because I had the long-cooking kind instead of quick-cooking, and it was absolutely delicious anyway. I can't wait to make it again with barley. The leeks give the broth a rich flavor and this is definitely a keeper."
"This is the best most comforting chicken soup ever. I can't wait to make it again."