The original recipe for this dish only called for vegetables, but I eventually added the chicken to make it a mouthwatering main meal.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, place the chicken, celery, green beans, carrots and onion.
- In a small bowl, combine the zucchini, tomatoes, tapioca, sugar, salt if desired and pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetable mixture thickens. Stir vegetables occasionally during baking. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p59
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Vegetable Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review