Vegetable Brown Rice
Loaded with carrots, onions and peas, this rice makes a terrific side dish, but it can even stand on its own as a light main course. Raisins offer a slight sweetness, and pecans add a little crunch. --Denith Hull of Bethany, Oklahoma
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 9 green onions, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice and basil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or
- until rice is tender and water is absorbed. fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, stir-fry the carrots, onion,
- green onions and raisins in hot oil for 5-7 minutes or until
- vegetables are lightly browned. Add the peas and salt; cook 1 minute
- longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pecans and rice; heat
- through. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 242 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 313 mg sodium,